To make an Amulet of Green Beans

Omelets are a good match with a great number of vegetables. However, when you combine it with green beans in a light sauce it becomes a dish for any meal.

First blanch your Beans, then fry them in Butter with some Parsley and Chibbol. Then put in some Cream, season them, and let them boil over a gentle Fire. Then make an Amulet with new-laid Eggs and Cream, and salted with Discretion. When it is enough, dress it on a Dish, thicken the Beans with one or two Yolks, and then turn them on your Amulet.

Amulet of the like Nature may be made with Green Peas, Truffles, Mushrooms, Asparagus, Spinage, Sorrel, Artichoke Bottoms, etc. all being first cut in small Pieces, or shred fine.

Adam’s Luxury and Eve’s Cookery” London, 1744.

• A good handful of fresh green beans
  • ¼ of a pound of butter (one stick)
  • 1 tsp. dried or freshly chopped parsley
  • 1 tsp. finely chopped onion
  • 5 Tbsp. cream
  • â…› tsp. salt and â…› tsp. ground pepper (or less if you like)
  • 5 eggs
  1. Take your green beans, cut off the tip ends, then cut the beans into about 1- to 1 ½-inch lengths. Then blanch them in boiling water for 4 minutes.
  2. Drain them and put them into a sauce pan with ½ of the butter, parsley and onion. Cook over medium heat for a minute or two.
  3. Add 2 Tbsp. of cream, salt and pepper; cook for another minute or two. Set aside off the burner while you make the omelet.
  4. Take 4 eggs and whip them light with the other 3 Tbsp. of cream and fry your omelet in the other half of the butter. Plate it.
  5. Put your beans back on medium heat and add the whipped yolk of the 5th egg. Blend the beans thoroughly with a spoon for a minute or two until they thicken some. Then pour the beans over the omelet and serve.

8 Responses to “To make an Amulet of Green Beans”

1. September 6th, 2013

Ryan says:

Wonderful recipe and video. Thanks! I noticed that the original 18th century recipe didn’t go into much detail about the preparation of the omelette itself. Was the omelette such a common dish in the 18th century that no one felt it was necessary to explain how they made it? Either way, I always look forward to new videos from Historic Foodways. Keep up the great work!

• September 13th, 2013

The recipes will not always go into detail about more common types of preparation. Since the omelette is one of those you were correct in your observation about it being a common dish. You did well in analyzing the recipe and terms, good work.

2. September 16th, 2013

James says:

These videos are awesome! I live in New York and I enjoy watching them and trying to make them. Thank You for the great recipes, the Tourte De Chocolate has become a holiday staple in my family, and my son loves when I make Tomatoes and Eggs. I hope someday you make one on Peanut Soup which I had one time at Mt Vernon (unfortunately every recipe I try never comes out like it) and some sort of Venison Dish. I was also wondering if the song that is used as the theme song in the beginning of every episode is that on a CD or itunes available for purchase? Thank You for these excellent historical, educational, and stomach satisfying videos.

3. October 9th, 2013

Thank you for your comments! We are glad you have enjoyed the site!
    Melissa Blank

4. November 18th, 2013

Helen Robison FitzGerald says:

I would have thought as this is an 18th c. receipt and further a French-style omelette that the omelette would have been cooked with no color, and certainly no flipped over as if it were a peasant frittata.

Also, keeping with the French theme, the sauce should have been nappe’ – or thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.

This late part of the 18th c. was the rise of French sauces and liasons – as CW website tells about in dining with Mr. Jefferson.

5. January 10th, 2014

Vicki Piccotti says:

This was a great way to use my abundance of green beans from the garden. Everyone loved it.