Eggs in Croquettes

This is a delicious version of a hot egg salad. The key to success is to refrigerate the patties before they are fried. They are very delicate so turning them over should be done carefully. Serve them for brunch along with a salad.

Boil eighteen eggs, separate the yolks and whites and cut them in dice, pour over them a sauce a-la-crème [recipe follows], add a little grated bread, mix all well together, and let it get cold: put in some salt and pepper, make them into cakes, cover them well on both sides with grated bread, let them stand an hour, and fry them a nice brown; dry them a little before the fire, and dish them while quite hot.

Sauce a-la crème
Put a quarter of a pound of butter with a large table spoonful of flour rubbed well into it, in a sauce pan, add some chopped parsley, a little onion, salt, pepper, nutmeg and a gill of cream; stir it over a fire until it begins to boil…

Randolph, Mary. “The Virginia Housewife.” pg.101.

• 12 large eggs
  • 1 cup grated bread crumbs
  • ¼ lb. butter
  • ¼ cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 Tbsp. fresh parsley, minced
  • 1-2 green onions, minced
  • ¼ fresh nutmeg, grated
  • ½ cup cream
  • Butter, lard or vegetable oil for frying
  • Salt and pepper
  1. Put the eggs in a large pot of cold water and bring to a boil. Take the pot off the heat, cover it, and let the eggs cook for 15 minutes off the burner. Cool the eggs under cold water and set aside.
  2. Combine the butter and flour in a saucepan over low heat and then stir in the onion, nutmeg and cream. Simmer the cream until thickened. Season with salt and pepper.
  3. Mince the eggs, then add in the sauce mixture along with a ¼ cup of bread crumbs. Stir the mixture until it holds together. Add more bread crumbs if necessary.
  4. Spread the remaining bread crumbs on a flat pan to use to coat the egg patties.
  5. Make 3-inch patties out of the egg mixture and bread them on both sides with the bread crumbs. When all of the mixture is used up, refrigerate the patties for at least an hour. Chilled patties will hold together better when you fry them.
  6. Fry the patties on both sides in a frying pan until browned and crisp. Serve immediately.

7 Responses to “Eggs in Croquettes”

1. September 20th, 2011

Dolores Kelley says:

We just returned from Williamsburg and were told at the Palace Kitchen that the wonderful looking Onion Pie had a recipe on History is Served. Could you possibly let me know where I might find it. It doesn’t appear in the current recipe list. The cook said it contained equal parts of onions, potatoes, squash, apples, and hard boiled eggs placed in the dough in a tart pan and covered with decorative dough. Thank you.

• September 21st, 2011

We’re so glad you met the great cooks at the Palace Kitchen. Watch for the onion pie recipe tomorrow afternoon; it’s slated to be posted around 3:00 p.m. Happy cooking!

2. February 2nd, 2012

Kimberly says:

I held an open hearth cooking class over the weekend and we made this recipe. It was delicious but they really do need to be very cold and slightly moist for it to work best. Many of the croquettes broke apart as they were flipped over during the frying, but still wonderful and worth making.

• January 27th, 2016

Michelle says:

These were very tricky to make and the recipe never stated what to do with the parsley, nor was it clear just how much nutmeg to use. I assumed it was a 1/4 if a whole grated nutmeg? they tasted delicious but were very hard to fry. Many turned to mush after they were flipped. I guess I would like a clearer recipe with more details, ie. parsley, nutmeg and how much oil and approximate times.

3. July 8th, 2012

Michele says:

We were at Williamsburg last week and saw an egg dish. The chef said that the eggs whites were whipped separately and the egg yolk was somehow set in the middle. The chef said I could find the recipe here, but I must be missing it. Could you please direct me to where it might be? I took a picture of it which I’ll include here.

Michele

• July 9th, 2012

That dish is called puffed eggs. It will be on this blog in the coming months with an accompanying video, so please keep checking back. In the meantime, you can make a batch at home by separating egg whites and yolks. Whip the whites up with a whisk until they form stiff peaks, and then put that in the pan to fry. Then drop the yolk in the middle and turn the puff over so both sides are done.

-Frank Clark

4. March 14th, 2016

Ellen says:

I made these for an open hearth cooking demonstration and they worked beautifully. Knowing I would not be able to chill them, I made the white sauce very thick and slowly added it and the breadcrumbs to the eggs until I got a good consistancy for making the patties. I was careful flipping them in the pan, but I didn’t have any crumbling. They go really well served with a mustard sauce, too.